Here are a handful of our favorite bone broth recipes and easy ways to make bone broth of various types:
The #1 beef bone broth recipe that we recommend following exactly if you are just starting out and haven’t had time to experiment, is this…
Ingredients you will need:
- 4 lbs beef bones
- 12 cups water
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1.5 cups chopped carrots
- 1.5 cups chopped leeks
- 3 bay leaves
- 3-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bones on the baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes. Flip them halfway through.
- After the bones are cooked, place them in a large stockpot and cover them with water. Add the vinegar and allow them to sit at room temp for roughly half an hour.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to the pot. Bring it to a full boil and then lower to a simmer.
- For the first few hours, skim the foamy layer that develops on the top and discard.
- Simmer for 48 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, then strain. Transfer the broth to an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least 5 hours (or overnight). This will allow the fat to rise to the top and solidify.
- Scrape the fat off the top. This will leave you with a pure gelatinous bone broth when cold.
- Store the broth in an air-tight mason jar or freeze it until you are ready to use it. When ready to use, slowly warm the broth over a low heat to bring it back to a liquid consistency.
Give it a try. You’ll be glad you did!